Dec. 4, 1940 Gary Mark Gilmore is born in McCamey, Texas, the second of four sons born to Frank and Bessie Gilmore.
1952 The Gilmore family moves in Portland, Oregon.
1954-1955 At the age of 14, Gilmore starts a small car theft ring with friends, resulting in his first arrest.  He was released to his father with a warning.

Two weeks later he is back in court on another car theft charge.  The court remanded him to the MacLaren Reform School for Boys in Oregon.
ca. 1956 Gilmore is released from the MacLaren Reform School for Boys in Oregon.
1957 Nicole Baker is born.  She would later become the girlfriend of Gary Gilmore.
1960 Gilmore is sent to Oregon State Correctional Institution on another car theft charge.  He is released later in the year.
1961 Frank Gilmore, Sr. (b. 1890), is diagnosed with terminal lung cancer,
1962 Gary Gilmore is again arrested and sent to the Oregon State Penitentiary for armed robbery and assault.
June, 1962 Frank Gilmore, Sr. dies while his son Gary is still in prison.  Despite his dysfunctional relationship with his father, Gary is devastated, and tries to kill himself by slitting his wrists.
1964 Gary Gilmore again faces assault and armed robbery charges.  He is given a 15-year prison sentence as a habitual offender.  A prison psychiatrist diagnoses him with antisocial personality with intermittent psychotic decompensation.
1972 Gilmore is granted conditional release to live weekdays in a halfway house in Eugene, Oregon, and study art at a community college.  He never registered, and within a month he was arrested and convicted of armed robbery.
1975 Because of his violent behavior in prison, Gilmore is transferred from Oregon to the maximum security federal prison in Marion, Illinois.
April, 1976 Gilmore is conditionally paroled and goes to Provo, Utah, to live with a distant cousin, Brenda Nicol.
July 19, 1976 In the evening, Gilmore robs and murders Max Jensen, a Sinclair gas station employee at 168 East and 800 North in Orem, Utah.
July 20, 1976 In the evening, Gilmore robs and murders Bennie Bushnell, a motel manager at City Center Inn at 150 West and 300 South in Provo, Utah.

The Utah State Police apprehend Gilmore as he tries to drive out of Provo, and he gives up without attempting to flee.
1976 Gilmore is charged with the murders of Bushnell and Jensen, although the latter case would never brought to trial, apparently because there were no eyewitnesses.
Oct. 5, 1976 Gilmore's murder trial begins at the Provo courthouse.
Oct. 7, 1976 At 10:13 a.m., the jury retires to deliberate.  By mid-day, they return with a guilty verdict.

Later in the day, the jury unanimously recommends the death penalty, due to the special circumstances of the crime.  The execution is set for November 15 at 8 a.m.
Nov. 16, 1976 Gilmore receives an unwanted stay of execution.  Distraught, he tries to commit suicide.
Fall, 1976 Against his express wishes, Gilmore receives several stays of execution through the efforts of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

Another execution date is set for January 17, 1977.
ca. Dec. 16, 1976 Gilmore again tries to commit suicide.
Nov. 1976 A Board of Pardons hearing is held.

During the hearing, Gilmore says of the efforts by the ACLU and others to prevent his January 17, 1977, execution: "They always want to get in on the act.  I don't think they have ever really done anything effective in their lives.  I would like them all -- including that group of reverends and rabbis from Salt Lake City -- to butt out.  This is my life and this is my death.  It's been sanctioned by the courts that I die and I accept that."
Jan. 17, 1977 A final stay occurs just hours before the re-scheduled execution.  That stay is overturned at 7:30 a.m., and the execution is allowed to proceed.

Gary Mark Gilmore is executed by firing squad at 8:07 a.m. at Utah State Prison in Draper, Utah.

Within hours of the execution, two people receive Gilmore's corneas.  His body is then sent for autopsy and is cremated later that day.
Jan. 18, 1977 Gary Gilmore's ashes are scattered from an airplane over Spanish Fork, Utah.